Sunday, August 13, 2017

Day 6

I got ready to leave the hotel in Brownfield, TX but not before stopping off in their huge breakfast room.  Do you see the people in this picture?  They are in town for a class reunion.  Brownfield Class of 1958.  I sat down to eat a some eggs and have a bowl of oatmeal and began listening to them talk.  It was kind of hard because there were several conversations going on at the same time. The average age of these folks, 77.  They seemed older than that to me. As I was listening and thinking, I realized that these folks were just one year older than I am now when I graduated high school in 1988.  They don't seem so old to me now.



After breakfast I headed off to Albuquerque.  It rained on me hard for 88 solid miles.  My jeans were soaked completely.

I had travelled 136 miles of long desolate highway when my engine began to sputter.  I knew immediately what had happened.  I had been running  against the wind and uphill in a lot of spots which cut into my miles per gallon.  Yep,  I ran a out of gas.  I was only 4 miles from the first gas station in Roswell.  I pulled over, turned on the reserve switch, and off I went.  When I got to the gas station I went in to prepay.  An older woman came up to me and began talking very fast in Spanish.  I just looked at her confused.  She then said, "Your are not from around here." And then moved on to someone else.  I have no idea what that was about 

It quit raining before I got to Vaughn, NM.  106 miles to go.  I stopped for fuel, stretches, and a few phone calls.

I ended up stopping two more times for fuel befor I got to the hotel in Albuquerque. I went to dinner at an Indian food restaurant.  I can't even tell you the name of the place, but the food is very different.  I had a dish that was made up of spinach and some sort of cheese.  It was surprisingly good. It was a little sweet but really good.  I then went into "Old Town". I stopped in a park and listened to a Mariachi band play.  I really want a pair of those pants!







I was in Old Town for about an hour and a half.  I'm back at the hotel now and getting ready to prepare for church!  Then it's home sweet Alamogordo in a few hours!

1 comment:

  1. Stay alert.The last leg of the trip is when you get the most fatigue.

    ReplyDelete