Monday, July 31, 2017

I DO WHAT I WANT

Finding myself in a new stage of life that pretty much makes me answerable to myself more so than in the past, and just about a month shy of my 47th birthday,  It's time to do a few things for myself.  This ride is the primary event to kick that off.


PLEASE TAKE THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPHS TONGUE IN CHEEK AND ONLY SLIGHTLY SERIOUSLY...BUT SOMEWHAT SERIOUSLY NONE THE LESS!

 Years ago I was getting ready to go to the radio station to do my weekly show.  It was live back then and only broadcast locally, not syndicated like today.  Someone said to me, "Are you going down to the radio station to do that stupid little radio show of yours?"  This hurt.  It hurt bad and I had lost all motivation to grab the mic and ham it up with jokes, stories, songs, and guests.  I went down to the station anyway and began preparation for the broadcast.  When I arrived the station manager told me that he had a number of emails over the week from listeners who said they really enjoyed the show.  He showed me them.  That changed my attitude.  THIS is why I do what I do.  Not everybody will like what you do and that's ok.

Now, that being said, there is only one person who really has to approve of your hobbies, your interest, your pursuits, and activities.  That's you.  Do it for yourself.  Do it for your own enjoyment.

I recently heard my dad use the phrase, "I Do What I Want."  He saw it on a t-shirt at a McDonald's and thought it was hilarious.  It is.  It is also a mindset.  Don't let other people dictate your ability to be happy.



Earlier this year I was at a motorcycle rally.  I bought a new vest, a few pins and a few patches.  As I was rotating a display stand of various patches i saw one..."I DO WHAT I WANT"  That patch is now sewn onto my vest.  It's a reminder to myself that I am responsible for the things that bring me my own happiness and sense of contentment.  I am responsible.  No one else.  I am the boss.  Last week I was cruising a website that had various items for sale including belt buckles.  I collect them.  I came across one that said, "I'M THE BOSS!"  Of course I had to have it.  It came in the mail a few days later.  I'm proud to say this belt buckle will be joining the ride!



Now, with this attitude and outlook, I am not saying that I am not responsible and accountable to God and the laws of our land.  It's just that some people are miserable because they choose to be.  Not me.  I do what I want because I'm the boss (And that gives me at least a little sense of happiness)!

Ride safe and enjoy the hot dogs!


No comments:

Post a Comment